Wednesday, October 12, 2005

But Is it Food?


I’m distressed at the lengths food manufacturers will go to create product. The concept of “food manufacturer” and the reference to food as “product” in itself is troubling. I have a problem reconciling industrial food production with the way I cook. I worry that you can buy raw dough in your grocer’s dairy section that will bake up as smiling Halloween Jack O’lantern cookies. A large conglomerate recently developed an oven-ready turkey that has been brined, seasoned and packaged in a plastic baking bag; all you need do is shove it into a preheated oven and hello Butterball.

Oscar Meyer makes lunchables for kids’ lunch bags that contain over-processed meat, cheese and crackers. Quaker Oats manufactures single-serving containers of artificially flavored, sweetened, microwave ready, oatmeal. Take a walk down the aisles of your supermarket and look at the volume of absurd packages of snacks, cookies, mixes and goofy MRE’s.

I admit to occasionally buying pre-packaged spinach or rotisserie chicken and canned sauce when I can’t take the time to poach chicken or grind chiles for enchiladas. Otherwise, I prepare fresh. My chocolate chip and oatmeal raisin cookies cost a fraction of those prepackaged lumps. They taste better too. One single-serving oatmeal cup costs $1 at my local quickie mart. A 42oz. container of oatmeal will yield 30 servings at a cost of about 8 cents per. While I admire the crumb and texture of certain Dunkin Hines cake mixes I’m bothered by the fact that the way the company achieved that result was through very technical chemical processing. Unfortunately, by now there are millions of civilians who believe Dunkin Hines canned frosting is butter cream. Every once and a while I run into one of these people at a birthday party and when they taste my mousseline, their eyes light up.

It’s just all so artificial, dishonest and disposable. Have we arrived at this point because our parents failed to pass along certain skills? Is it because we spend too much time and energy chasing imposed concepts of wealth, success and prestige that we’ve lost sight of the real value of sustenance? Why on earth would anyone choose Baco-bits over freshly prepared, crumbled, crispy bacon?

Some of the finest minds in the country spend their talents chasing the next Keeblers snack. They do this because huge corporations pay them ungodly amounts of money. These food scientists don’t seek cures for diseases or pursue innovative procedures to better the lives we lead. Rather they exhaust themselves creating tortilla chips that taste like cheese puffs with fewer calories. Instead of spending 90 seconds preparing quesadillas using fresh tortillas and a little shredded cheese, people seem happy to burst open a nitrogen filled cellophane bag of replicant engineered tortilla product.

Don't lose sight of the value of preparing fresh meals for someone you care about or for yourself.

9 Comments:

Blogger AlmightyHeidi said...

Thank you for the comment on my blog. Just one of those moments you can't get out of your head and it stays with you awhile:)

7:20 PM  
Blogger Foilwoman said...

Homemade is best. I took the chicken bones from the roast chicken last week and boiled them for a while until the last of the flesh fell off the bones. I removed the flesh and strain the broth. I used my grandmother hand meat grinder and ground up the meat. I made chicken dumplings with the ground chicken, egg, and bread crumbs. I filtered the broth and let it chill. I removed the fat from the chilled broth. Tomorrow, I'll add vegetables, and voila, homemade chicken soup. There was more chicken meat left over, so I made a chicken loaf. In the fridge right now, all home made: chicken pot pie (I confess, the crust is pre-made -- I'm short on time), pot roast, chicken stock & dumplings, soon to be chicken soup, and chicken loaf. Total cost for all four dishes, which will last about a week: $17. Including the original roast chicken which already provided several roast chicken meals, some chicken sandwiches, and chicken croquettes.

Then, because I was in a foul mood (no pun intended), I made homemade chocolate sauce (chocolate, brown sugar, a little coffee, milk, butter) and had it on icecream. There's enough left for one more serving and another spoonful for chocolate milkshake.

But I still want your mousseline.

9:25 PM  
Blogger Champurrado said...

Heidi: Yeah, i know.
Foil: fried chicken, boiled chicken, broiled chicken, chicken kabobs, chicken kiev, chicken dumplings, chicken surprise, roast chicken, baked chicken, chicken feet, chicken wings, chicken stir fry, chicken, chicken, chicken, chicken, chicken.........

6:04 AM  
Blogger Foilwoman said...

Hey, I'm feeding four (Foilkid, GaahGirl, Babysitter, and Moi) on $70/week. It's going to take more taunting than that to make me sick of chicken. I have emergency mac & cheese for the Foilkid, lots of frozen veggies, fresh veggies for the next week, and plenty of potatoes and rice. Yup. And ice cream and chocolate.

7:04 AM  
Blogger ..................... said...

So, let me get this straight....
I've been reading your blog off and on...
You seem to have a full time job, prepare thoughtfully cooked food from scratch (with the kids no less at times), renovate old homes (my 14 year old son found that blog on picture hanging a hoot), stay informed on relevant issues....

Come hither....
I think my beloved spouse wants to dump me and marry you.....

3:25 PM  
Blogger Champurrado said...

Schauml:

That's funny. Yes, I can attest that if you give up golf and gambling, you too can live la vida loca.

3:55 PM  
Blogger Foilwoman said...

Hey, I have first dibs on Champ. Of course, the reason we like him (aside from the cooking, the competence, the carpentry, the caring) is because he has that rare quality in a man: an awareness of what he has, what it's worth to him (worth giving up golf), and what he'll do to keep it (a whole heckuva lot, I suspect).

The New and Improved Mrs. Champurrado is in no danger from all the Champ's internet admirers. Champ knows reality vs. fiction in a way that most men don't seem to be able to understand or act on.

But should I be wrong (I hope not, but . . .), I get first dibs.

9:17 AM  
Blogger Champurrado said...

Foil: you're just embarrassing me now.

12:01 PM  
Blogger Foilwoman said...

Champ: If you're a blusher, my life is now complete. A confession: Mr. Studmuffin got that name in reality because he blushed when I called him that back in 1987. He still does, so I can't quit. Innana too. You've been warned.

7:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home