Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Brooklyn Superhero Supply Co.



Recently, while eating out at a neighborhood place, we noticed a new storefront down the street. The main sign said “Brooklyn Superhero Supply Co.” Another sign advertised, “Capes, masks and shrinking gas. If we don't have it, a superhero doesn't need it. Ask inside! We can custom-order alter egos." The sign advertising Antimatter was particularly curious.

Since the store had not yet opened for business we could not go inside to look around. During dinner we speculated about what exactly this place was and whether it served as some illegal front to some criminal enterprise. But the marketing seemed a little too extreme for a criminal enterprise and way too edgy to be anything mainstream. We toasted to its success, if for no other reason than it made us smile knowing we had a centrally located source of antimatter.

I put the place out of my mind until yesterday. I finished David Sedaris excellent short story anthology, Children Playing Before a Statue of Hercules and was reading Sarah Vowell’s epilogue. Mr. Sedaris, it turns out donates the proceeds of the book to 826NYC, a nonprofit organization dedicated to helping students, ages 6-18, develop their writing skills.

826NYC is housed in a storefront hidden behind a secret passage within Brooklyn Superhero Supply Co.

Mystery solved. What a great idea. Besides offering tutoring, 826NYC also offers free writing workshops, which cover a wide range of topics, including comic books, SAT essays, journals, short stories, and more. They host field trips and also offer in-class support for teachers.

We’ll be making donations to and buying all our secret identity kits from 826NYC from now on.

8 Comments:

Blogger Foilwoman said...

That is just wonderful. That's the best thing I've heard all year. And, of course, it's writing that turns the kids into superheroes. That's how I became a superheroine. I do need some of the anti-matter stuff . . . .

2:02 PM  
Blogger Champurrado said...

Foil:

You just make me a list and I'll take care of your superhero shopping.

2:33 PM  
Blogger Foilwoman said...

Champurrado: Arent you the sweetest. Here's the list:
Cake ingredients (chocolate (semi-sweet and dark), flour, sugar, eggs, butter, cream, confectioners sugar, almond paste, almonds, chestnuts, vanilla, etc.)
Chef to cook the cake
Anti-matter containment field
Evil editor of doom containment field
Good dessert wine or aperitif liqueuer
Thanks.

5:50 PM  
Blogger Champurrado said...

Foil:

OK, I get it.......

8:51 AM  
Blogger LiVEwiRe said...

Are you kidding me? That's amazing! Very sneaky; I like that!

7:34 PM  
Blogger Foilwoman said...

Do they have anti-insanity antimatter? I could use some of that. As well as air filters. Thanks.

2:24 PM  
Blogger Champurrado said...

Foil:

I'll make a run to the store to see about anti-insanity/matter for you.

6:18 AM  
Blogger Foilwoman said...

Yes, that's getting rather urgent, I'm afraid. I'm really getting rather tired of that particular plotline. So hackneyed. [In reality, I'm thinking something more like this: AIIIIIEEEEEEE!!!!]

6:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home