Monday, September 26, 2005

Theory of Picture Hanging

Some time ago we bought a run-down brownstone townhouse in a nice Brooklyn neighborhood. Constructed in 1895, the house has suffered bouts of neglect and limited maintenance. Miraculously, almost all of the plaster detail has remained intact as has the original woodwork including the staircases, doors, windows and moldings. All but one room has been stripped of the parquet flooring. Four of the six fireplace mantles have Victorian wooden escutcheons and the other two are carved bluestone. Good bones throughout.

We bought the place with fair notice of the amount of work required to meet code as well as meet our own standards. Soon after we moved in, the renovations began. Using contractors for the garden level apartment rental and the heavier roofing, plumbing and electrical work we handled everything else ourselves; everything from joist to joist and wall stud to wall stud. We’ve mastered flooring, tiling, skim coating, cabinetry, finish carpentry and refinishing.

I’ve discovered along the way that I curse almost as much while working on the house as I do when I bake. (My wife thinks I have renovation triggered tourette syndrome – I deny this.) I also discovered the Theory of Picture Hanging (“TPH”). TPH holds that for each picture you hang on a plaster wall, there is an incalculable number of linearly connected consequences resulting in unforeseeable theretofore-unexposed issues.

Basis for the Theory:

1. Select the wall where the picture will hang.
2. Select the smallest fastener that will handle the weight of the picture.
3. Using the lightest hammer in the toolbox, gently tap the fastener into the wall.
4. Step away from the wall and watch helplessly as a hairline crack snakes its way from the site of the fastener all the way up to the crown molding at the vertex of the wall and ceiling.
5. Curse.
6. Remove fastener.
7. Begin crack repair.
a. Using a small tool, open the crack slightly to create a suitable “key” to accept the repair material – in this case 90-minute setting joint compound.
b. As you delicately excavate the hairline crack, a 4’ by 4’ sheet of plaster releases from the lath and crashes down onto the floor.
c. Curse.
d. Examine now exposed lath and discover behind it a long abandoned vent stack that has been wicking moisture from the roof down to the site behind the lath for forty years resulting in loose plaster.
e. Begin lath removal and vent stack repair.
i. Using a small pry bar, slowly, carefully remove each piece of lath from the framing studs.
ii. Expose vent stack and notice that building directly abutting your house has used the vent stack area in your common wall to run their live, non-armored electrical conduit.
iii. Confirm that conduit is live by licking thumb and forefinger of right hand and touching conduit.
iv. Curse.
8. Contact building department to file a formal complaint against bastard neighbor.
9. Address bastard neighbor’s concerns about building department shutting off his electricity by laughing into telephone receiver.
10. After bastard neighbor discovers the only way to have building department turn his power back on is to correct violation, neighbor arrives at door with 12-year-old bottle of single malt.
11. Good neighbor’s contractor allowed access to electrical problem for repair.
12. Contractor is not a skilled cursor, uses only one language.
13. Contractor finishes work, good neighbor’s power restored, work resumes on crack.
a. Water leak appears to have originated at junction of vent stack and roof.
b. Go up to roof and wiggle vent stack to test flashing.
c. Flashing disconnects from vent stack exposing a hole in roof two feet in diameter.
d. Curse.
e. After almost two weeks of cloudless skies, a thunderstorm arrives from the east.
f. Rain falls for three days straight.
g. Plastic sheeting prevents most but not all the water from dripping down the vent stack through the walls.
h. Call roofer to eliminate vent stack and repair roof.
14. Roofer provides reasonable estimate for vent stack repair and warns that entire roof must be replaced otherwise he may have to call building department to report dangerous roof condition.
15. Replace roof.
16. Resume repair of crack.
a. Reaffix lath.
b. Apply wallboard over lath.
c. Skim coat wallboard level with existing wall.
d. Feather sand wall flat.
17. Paint repair to match wall
18. Decide picture would look better in my office.

10 Comments:

Blogger Foilwoman said...

All well and good, Champ, and feel free to come and help hang pictures in my new place, but really, you look a lot sexier when baking. Not that I know what you look like, but not as many ladies are going to ooh and aah over this post.

6:17 PM  
Blogger Prom said...

Just a hint, predrill the hole for the picture hanger - grin.

On the other hand, you saved yourself from electrocution/fire and/or deadly black mold that thrives on moisture and will eat your whole family (and probably make bad smells in the vents).

7:02 PM  
Blogger "" said...

I love your construction tales, C. If you really want to hang pictures you might consider installing a picture rail.

Of course these come with their own set of problems.

10:32 PM  
Blogger Champurrado said...

Foil: Regrets I cannot spend time at your new place with my tools and Silpat sheets.

Prom: First time I tried to insert the tinyest picture pin nail available I predrilled. Drill on moderate setting (8). Drill bit caught on horse hair embedded in plaster and tristed it causing chunk of plaster to dislodge from underlying lath. (Sounds like you read the same magazines I read).

dd: You make an excellent point.

6:43 AM  
Blogger "" said...

Dear C -
I think you should have your own cake making home improvement show on HGTV or even better Lifetime. It would give women everywhere hope to know that there are men in the world who can bake a tarte, tackle home repair AND survive to tell the tales.

Sigh. I love my beloved but I am the one with power tools in this family and its not because I am particularly gifted in this department - just stubbornly self-reliant.

1:18 PM  
Blogger Champurrado said...

DD:

The scary thought is that when I count the number of drill/drivers in my tool room, I come up with 7. They're all different and all meet different applications.

6:00 AM  
Blogger Prom said...

Super sharp carbide drill bits??? Okay, never mind - go with the picture rail.

No magazines but I used to be a contractor many eons ago.

8:17 AM  
Blogger Champurrado said...

Prom, you surprised the hell out of me.

8:27 AM  
Blogger Foilwoman said...

Prom: It's official. I want to meet you. I also want the full bio. It's the still waters run deep thing. You don't write a lot on your blog, but there's clearly a lot more interesting history than I have put on mine.

Champ: FoilMormor is in charge of all picture hanging, etc.

11:53 AM  
Blogger Prom said...

I did?

It was back in Oregon. I learned carpentry skills in high school while designing and constructing sets for the school plays.

I worked construction for awhile in the summers during college, mostly doing renovations on a huge warehouse that was turned into a crafts market.

Then a bf and I formed a company and did a lot of one offs additions and renovations with me doing alot of the design work (sans architect).

Our most lucrative gig was one summer we did dry rot repair. In the post ww2 era new house construction there didn't use insulation so all of those houses ended up with condensation problems and water dripping on the rim joists. This caused rot and invasion by carpenter ants and also rotted out lots of the joist ends. So the fix was to go all around the foundation jacking up two joists at a time, cutting out the rot and scabbing in a new joist end and putting it up on a post and cement pad.

The good parts of the job was the underside of the house was cool in the summer heat and I spent a lot of time laying on my back (I was the one laying on my back under the house). The bad parts of the job were all the spiders I had to evict on the first day under and the occasional cat that had decided that under the house was the place to go to die.

Oh and I also built my own house during this time. Sold it just before moving to VA to finish grad school when my lab moved.

8:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home