Friday, September 16, 2005

Cricket News




In an effort to keep american cricket enthusiasts up to date on important news, I'v included a few items of interest.

Australia still leads England in the rankings with Australia starting a four day match this weekend against Pakistan.

Good Luck to the Baggy Green.

On another shameful note, in response to shocking allegations concerning his behavior while in Mumbai, Muttiah Muralitharan had this to say:





"I have been compelled to make a public statement following wholly inaccurate and defamatory speculation of me by certain sections of the Indian media during the past few days.

These media reports have insinuated my possible involvement in a gambling and match-fixing controversy with which I have no connection. These allegations are shocking and totally baseless.

I have traveled to Mumbai on a few occasions in recent years for official award ceremonies and to attend to family business matters. On one occasion, I met actor Aditya Pancholi who invited me to dinner. Afterwards, we visited Deepa Bar for approximately one hour before I returned to my hotel.

Contrary to media speculation, I have never been introduced to and nor do I have any links whatsoever with a woman called Tarannum Khan, who was apparently a dancer in the Deepa Bar. In addition, this was also the only occasion in my life that I visited this particular bar.

Reports appearing in recent media reports of my close alliance with this bar or the dancer are therefore total fabrications. I have been associated with a match-fixing controversy on the basis that I innocently patronised a bar a few years ago, which I believe is grossly unfair.

These reports appear to be made in express malice and also seem to have the ulterior motive of holding me out to public ridicule and contempt.

Representing Sri Lanka as a cricketer is a truly great honour.

We believe you Muttiah!

3 Comments:

Blogger Foilwoman said...

What's the educational system in Sri Lanka? I'd love to see any of our (U.W.) professional athletes answer any allegations of scandalous behavior with one (1) complete and coherent sentence, much less numerous complete and coherent sentences comprising several distinct paragraphs. Is it the water? I vote for his innocence. Even if he did it, he can speak in flowing, eloquent periods.

1:25 PM  
Blogger Champurrado said...

Foil:

Honestly, I'm thinking his dancer/girlfriend wrote this for him. I assume she's the smart one; dancing to support her studies at University. Just my opinion.

5:11 AM  
Blogger Champurrado said...

Anyresemblence:

Sad to say the lack of coverage here in the states is awful. If only people could spend an afternoon near the pitch I think it would be a different situation. Alas...

Noticed Australia's selectors dropped Damien Martyn from the Test and Matthew Hayden from the one-day for the Super Series. I suppose the defeat at the Ashes was too much.

Thanks for checking in.

5:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home