Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Why Not Get A Dog?



We live in a big, old rambling house, within two blocks of one of the largest parks in the city. At least one child resides with us all the time. We have looked after other people’s dogs for short periods without any major disasters. Someone is always home except for vacations. The abundant availability of books, training and veterinary services in our neighborhood would make the transition from dogless to dogged very easy.

Many families have dogs. They don’t seem to object to the obligations associated with their care, feeding, walking, neurosis, etc. If anything, I am a dog person. I pet strange dogs on the street. I’ve changed the diapers of a meat-eating 2-year-old children – how hard can it be to pick up after a dog?

We have cold winters. Dogs still need to walk even when I may not. I can think of a hundred other reasons why not to get a dog.

But, why not get a dog?

8 Comments:

Blogger Foilwoman said...

Dogs are especially great when kids turn from adoring children into adolescents. The dog still adores you and is happy to see you when you get home.

8:08 PM  
Blogger Champurrado said...

Foil:

Yes, a good reason to get a dog. I also like the big dopey eyes, the wagging tail, the ceaseless curiosity and honesty.

Now, what about waking up on a Tuesday morning in February to take the dog outside in 3 degree weather for a nice walk?

5:31 AM  
Blogger "" said...

I think you would be a great dog owner. They change people's lives. You'll get to know all the other dog people on those 3 degree walks - and they are usually the very best kind of people to get to know. (Of course we have cats but our dog owning friends don't hold it against us...)

6:50 AM  
Blogger Prom said...

Good exercise and you can't dodge it.

8:10 AM  
Blogger Champurrado said...

Amie, Prom:

Yes, yes, it's just pulling the trigger on the commitment that I'm struggling with right now. Puppies in pet store windows lure me in every time. I enjoy the company of dog people. I worry the dog would get in the way of my exercise though. I run very early in the morning. Having to walk a dog would require two trips to the park in the morning. Go ahead, talk me into this. Double dare you.

9:19 AM  
Blogger Foilwoman said...

I have a dog that really, really likes to run. He doesn't get walked enough now that there is only one adult in the house. He would love an early morning run. He's good with kids. He has a furrowed brow. I will send a picture of this handsome animal in need of a loving home this evening once I get home. It is . . . the Foildog!!!! Okay, it was just an idea. He likes to kiss little kids. He's the world's fastest couch potato. He's a good boy. Free to superior (not merely good) home.

8:03 AM  
Blogger Champurrado said...

Foil:
Now, there's an interesting idea. None of the breeders are calling back anyway. I look forward to seeing resume and pictures.

9:50 AM  
Blogger Foilwoman said...

Will send tonight from home. He's a great dog. He deserves to be in a house where people are around all the time (this was so until v. v. recently). He's sweet, goofy (ask Innana, and she is no dog person). Will forward all available information tonight. He's a lovely boy. Goofy. But a lovely boy.

11:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home