Friday, October 28, 2005

Oysters

You have to commit your most valuable asset in order to truly enjoy oysters; you must set aside your time. You can’t rush eating oysters. The time leading up to, during and then afterwards should be anticipated, savored then relished. You need to slow down to appreciate the experience.

When I think of oysters, I think of platters of plump, fresh, cold, glistening morsels resting in half shells on cracked ice with lemon, mignonette sauce and maybe some Tabasco.

You can certainly cook oysters, if you want. In fact one of my most memorable meals was in South Carolina at an outdoor restaurant near the water. The women sat at one picnic bench, the men at another as washbasin after washbasin of steaming oysters made their way to our plates. Washed down with ice-cold pitchers of beer the oysters were excellent. But separating the men and women and eating on picnic tables out in the open isn’t the ideal way to eat oysters.

When I think of eating oysters I think of cold weather, nighttime and candles. This is when oysters are at their peak. For me, eating oysters is intimate, it’s cause for quiet voices, laughter and shared secrets. You shouldn’t eat oysters alone.

Once, we received an invitation to celebrate a very cold New Year’s Eve at a friend’s house. I brought three-dozen oysters, a shucking knife and a block of ice. At one point after a few glasses of Champaign I started shucking and arranging the oysters on platters of chipped ice. We had exhausted all available counter and refrigerator space so I took advantage of the freezing weather and carried the finished plates outside to a table on the deck. Distracted by some very good music and slow dancing, I lost track of the oysters. When I remembered and brought them inside they were just this side of frosted. We let them set for a few minutes and to this day, they are still the best I’ve eaten.

In the city we go to Blue Ribbon, a downtown restaurant and raw bar with a consistent, exceptional selection. Their offerings usually include bluepoints, Malpeques and Wellfleets. They fly in Olympias from the Northwest and sometimes exotics. Every once and a while we’re fortunate enough to set aside an evening in deep fall or winter to spend a long night at Blue Ribbon, eating oysters, drinking vodka martinis or montrachet and reacquainting ourselves with our hearts.

9 Comments:

Blogger Foilwoman said...

Okay, the minute I con some poor schmoo to take me someplace that has good oysters, I'll give the another try (never did quite acquire the taste). Can you recommend a good place in DC?

12:44 PM  
Blogger Prom said...

Mmmmmm, my fav (just in front of cold/raw) is the oyster feast at my friend's house. He live on the Oregon coast. We get two bushels of oysters from the growers up in Charleston, bring them home, hose them off and steam them up in a large caldrom on a propane burner outside.

Then they come inside to the table (men and women sit together)in large plastic trays where everyone is armed with a shucking knife. Those with dexterity get to eat more oysters than those without. There is garlic lemon butter to dip them in. These aren't puny little oysters either. Big, plump and very fresh. If we are lucky, we have cold dungenese crabs as appetizers.

Oh and some the left over oysters are generally to be found in omelettes drizzled with hollandase sauce the next morning.

The other two bushels (did I forget to mention them?) are marinated, smoked and then canned in olive oil. I still have two jars of them hidden in my kitchen.

1:30 PM  
Blogger "" said...

I remember the first time I witnessed an oyster being shucked... I was maybe 7 or 8 years old and we were standing in Gulf Coast waters.... my father's friend reached down into the water, pulled up an oyster, shucked it and handed me the pearl...

Since that time I've enjoyed more than my share of oysters with friends and family. I don't eat oysters from the Gulf of Mexico anymore because I don't trust the waters. All it takes is getting sick once (which I have) to make one seriouly consider the source of this delicacy.

A Louisiana sauce for Oysters combines horseradish, lemon and a tiny bit of ketchup...with a saltine finish. Cooter Brown's, at the river bend in New Orleans is the one of the most reliable places to get good oysters if you like oysters from the gulf.

8:51 AM  
Blogger Champurrado said...

Ms: Foil: You should try again. I'm sure you can find a great place in DC.

Prom: That sounds like a great way to enjoy a day and night. I'm thinking I need an oyster omelette right about now.

DD: I have yet to find a pearl. I'm just so happy with the briny flesh though.

5:24 AM  
Blogger Champurrado said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

5:24 AM  
Blogger AlmightyHeidi said...

I do not like oysters, or seafood for that matter, but you make it seem...edible al of a sudden:)

Heidi

12:55 PM  
Blogger Champurrado said...

Ms. Almighty:

While you may characterize their contents as "snot", oysters can truly be delicious, provided the place, time and company are right. I won't try to bring you over to the dark side (seafood). I have tried for many years to pursuade three children to eat non-fishstick seafood with no success.

5:35 AM  
Blogger Carla said...

ode to the oyster. you do fine justice to the wondrous gray flesh. sadness runs over me, though. just last year i developed an allergy to shellfish. almost a death sentence for i am a huge fan of all seafood. cutting out this category of clams, oysters, etc, is devistating. all i can do is up my consumption of salmon, dungenous crab and rock cod. not a bad thing but still, i am deprived.

4:27 PM  
Blogger Champurrado said...

Patina:

Yes, i once reacted to yogurt and thought, no more yogurt. Thankfully, I rebooted and can once again have it. I hope you overcome the reaction. So much to miss.

11:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home