Saturday, April 12, 2008

Defending your food

Michael Pollan is a journalist who teaches at Berkeley. His recent work, In Defense of Food, An Eater’s Manifesto, takes a fresh approach in addressing American eating and what he calls nutritionalism. Basically Mr. Pollan breaks it down to this: eat food, not too much, mostly plants.

No secret I like food. What I learned in Defense is that I like the right food, that is, food without process, food that’s out of a vegetable bin, not out of a box. By eating less of the boxed types of food product, Mr. Pollan says, we can eat better. Eating processed food leads to loss of health and weight gain.

He does not suggest a strictly vegetarian diet, and I liked that; instead he suggests, as Thomas Jefferson did, that we treat meat as a condiment rather than a main course.

All good sound advice, if you ask me.

Let’s eat just food, not a whole lot and maybe eat more leaves than flesh.

And cake, so long as it’s good cake, just a small slice and not too sweet.

2 Comments:

Blogger Foilwoman said...

Just so you know, I'm bringing your August 2005 Cake Post of fame, infamy, and notoriety to what I hope is a larger audience by referring to it in DC Blogs Noted (hey, you've been in the greater DC area at least once) because that's a standard some of these bloggers should be trying to meet (but they're not quite cutting it). Let me know if that's not okay, and I'll delete, if that's so.

7:16 PM  
Blogger "" said...

I love this book and have been eating this way since my 2004 residency in Paris. Its cheaper, you see, where farmers are part of the city infrastructure.

It is harder for Americans to eat this way because subsidies create artificially cheaper processed foods... this may change, though since I've read that more and more Americans are actually growing their own food. Hurrah!

7:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home