Sunday, November 05, 2006

Hockey Heartbreak

The Hardest Part About Watching Your Kid Take a Pounding From an Exponentially Superior Team.

1. You love your kid so very much that seeing her suffer the consequences of the mismatch makes you question your judgment of letting her play goalie in the first place.
2. You drove six hours to get to the tournament. When it’s over, you’ll drive six hours home.
3. The hotel costs $200. Gas, food and related expenses will add up to another $150. You’ve completely ignored a $4,000 consulting assignment to be here.
4. You can’t help fantasizing about the awful lives that lay ahead for the players on the other team, imagining them suffering when their hockey careers end while your daughter thrives because she has more going for her than hockey alone.
5. You feel guilty for thinking bad thoughts about someone else’s child merely because she scored a goal while your kid was between the pipes.
6. Fighting the urge to spend $30,000 a year to enroll your kid into an elite prep school hockey program just so she could be on the other side of the 8 to 0 loss.
7. Getting over it. While your kid put the loss behind her within minutes of the final buzzer, you can’t seem to stop wringing your hands and gnashing your teeth long after the fact.

Just in case anyone out there is considering letting their kid play ice hockey.

4 Comments:

Blogger ..................... said...

ummm....
being there for your kid....that experience is priceless.
But I know what you mean. Last soccer season (not this past one) I watched my youngest son's team loose practically every game.

8:41 PM  
Blogger Foilwoman said...

I know this experience is in my future. I'm not looking forward to it. Best to your daughter.

9:24 PM  
Blogger Champurrado said...

Schaumi, Foil:

Hey, thanks for stopping by. Yes, the positive side of all this is the time I get to spend with my daughrters. The mother bear aspects to it sometimes get in the way but I suppose it evens out, no?

7:44 AM  
Blogger The Reverent Eater said...

I feel your pain, Champ. I feel your pain.

11:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home