Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Zarela's

Our six year old was away at Grandma’s (capital G) for the week so we went to dinner on Saturday at Zarela’s in the city. Now I’ve been cooking from her book for about a million years and for some reason never made it to her restaurant until Saturday. What a wonderful meal. Notwithstanding the frozen margaritas and shots of cuervo gold, I was in a rational frame of mind and can report with some clarity that her restaurant is seriously representative when it comes to Mexican food.

We started with Chilequillas and a fresh salad with orange slices and moved on to a barbacoa of lamb that sang to us. I hogged most of the rellenos con chile de arbol. As a side dish we shared cauliflower prepared with a wonderful sauce.

E said my sauce was better but we both agreed that the rellenos were probably the best we’d ever eaten.

And it’s not just because we had the night to ourselves, lots of tequila, no kids and no curfew.

6 Comments:

Blogger Billie Mercer said...

Zarela's is one of my favorite cookbooks too. I love the drunken chicken. I've been to the restaurant once and hope to go again the next time we are in NYC

6:27 PM  
Blogger Champurrado said...

billies:

I was very surprised when I logged onto zarela's website and saw a space to ask questions. I asked about the chile arbol and she wrote back that night. I thought that was very considerate. Thanks for stopping by.

4:03 AM  
Blogger ..................... said...

I might need to order that cookbook..

1:31 PM  
Blogger Champurrado said...

Schaumi:

I'd jump on it, truth be told. I have lots of mexican cookbooks - everything from the realistic to the manic (Diane Kennedy) and find Zarela to be just what I think good mexican cooking should be. None of her recipes require you to go to the butcher and pick up a pail of fresh blood or anything like that so I think you'll appreciate her style. Thanks for visiting.

2:26 PM  
Blogger Lady Prism said...

champurrado is chocolate porridge in my country...

nice post!

12:34 AM  
Blogger Champurrado said...

Luxlucisvita:

In my country too. Problem is that it's easier to get a big mug of it in your country. Mostly I make champurrado in the winter.

Thanks for stopping by.

11:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home