Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Truffles

Our good neighbor Samuel recently returned from Paris where he maintains a second home. We chatted briefly, caught up with the local news and tentatively planned a dinner. Then, as an afterthought, Samuel told me to wait a second while he went into his house. He returned with a huge box of truffles from La Maison du Chocolat. “Here, I brought this back for you guys,” he said.

Samuel is a worldly, artistic, gifted and generous individual. I’m not just saying that because he gave us the truffles. Once, we invited him to dinner and he showed up with two bottles of Chateau Lafitte Rothschild – “I had these down in the basement and I’m not sure they’re any good,” he said. If you’ve never had the experience of drinking this altitude of bordeaux with steaks and pommes frites….. well – it didn’t need any breathing, ok?

Samuel once had a gallery showing in Chile. During his visit, he so impressed a local baron/politico/cartel head with his related charitable work– we really never understood the story or relationship – that Samuel now has a house and several acres of land on the coast of Chile. So between trips down to Chile or flights to Paris, we don’t get to see a lot of Sam.

This is one of those extraordinary individuals nestled among us normal folk. If you saw him walking down the street you’d probably never register the memory. In any event, we’re fortunate to have his acquaintance.

Chocolate Truffles

• 1/2 cup heavy cream
• 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
• 1 teaspoon light corn syrup
• 8 oz. chopped, semi-sweet chocolate + 6 oz. for dipping
• 1/2 cup Dutch-process cocoa powder, sifted

Method:

In a saucepan over moderate flame, heat the cream, butter and corn syrup until it comes to a full boil. Turn it off before you burn it. Ass 8 oz. of the chocolate and swirl it together. Let the chocolate melt in without stirring the pot. After about 5 minutes, whisk carefully to combine the chocolate with the other ingredients. Pour it into a bowl and throw it into the ice box to cool. Stir it every once and a while. It will take about an hour to cool off enough to make the truffles. Don’t let it get too hard or your family will make terrible comments about you behind your back.

When ready, pull the bowl out of the fridge and form your truffles with any instrument you have that will cause truffle shapes. I use an old Mepps trout lure and a toy airplane fuselage. When done, you should have a silpat lined baking pan covered with little one inch chocolate balls. Back into the fridge.

Melt the rest of the chocolate in the microwave until it’s just workable. Let it cool enough so that you don’t require a trip to the ER when you dip your pudgy little fingers into the mosh.

You’ll need to use some skill to now dunk each truffle into the chocolate then roll it around in the cocoa powder before returning it to the baking sheet. Let me know if you figure out how to do this without getting more chocolate onto your hands than onto the food.

When you’re done, place the baking sheet in the ice box until the heroes are set.

Sneak discretely after family goes to sleep.

20 Comments:

Blogger Prom said...

Sam sounds interesting. Is he married (asking for Foil of course)?

10:05 AM  
Blogger Champurrado said...

prom:

widower.... ha.

10:25 AM  
Blogger Prom said...

Age?

11:07 AM  
Blogger Champurrado said...

Prom:

He's probably around 55ish - and so as to stop the other questions you're letting roll around in that massive brain of yours - he's fairly decent looking, trim, 5' 9" or so, good haircut for a balding guy, speaks well, freelance fashon photographer with studion in the city, charming as hell and very comfortable living and traveling on his own. Now, stop it.

11:44 AM  
Blogger Prom said...

Hey, he sounds like more my type than Foils (too short for her). On the other hand, someone who is around fashion models all the time is probably not someone who will be interested in me.

12:00 PM  
Blogger ..................... said...

Heck, who's interested in Sam? It's that truffle recipe I'm interested in.
Sounds good. Maybe I can get my dearest T. to fix it for me some day.

3:01 PM  
Blogger Foilwoman said...

Who says 5'9" is too short? I had drinks with a guy who was 5'6" the other night and the good night kiss wasn't a problem. It was just me who leant down instead of him. TMI, I know, I know. Of course, I'm interested in Sam as a gift with gift (accompanying the truffles).

When I was introduced to PdeFF, the introducing friend say "He's taller than you are!" as though that were some sort of qualification. What's that about?

9:38 AM  
Blogger Champurrado said...

Foil:

Please, let's just all relax. Nobody's introducing dates here, alright? Happy to see you're getting out though.

10:26 AM  
Blogger Prom said...

Foil, some people care about the height thing. I wouldn't know, I'm so short that there aren't many men shorter than me so it simply isn't something I've experienced except via friends who do seem to care.

Hey Champ, what's up with not sharing the wealth? There are a few single women here reading your blog!

11:25 AM  
Blogger Foilwoman said...

Champ: Sam sounds okay, but I really want the truffles. Well, I really wanted the tamales, way back then. And then I wanted the cake. Since I've started reading your blog, I've been learning to do without. See, it's really an exercise in aesceticism.

12:16 PM  
Blogger Champurrado said...

Good grief...

1:21 PM  
Blogger The Reverent Eater said...

Wowsa. I guess chocolate really IS an aphrodisiac!

3:56 PM  
Blogger ..................... said...

Ya'll are bein' just plain silly...such a fuss...:)

4:45 PM  
Blogger AlmightyHeidi said...

Why have a man...when you can have chocolate!!????
Hmmm...or a man covered in chocolate...can we have that recipe next??

9:02 AM  
Blogger Champurrado said...

I worry about whether there is anything I can say here. Clearly, the whole chocolate v. man debate could get me whacked if I even try to answer the question. Ms. Almighty is just looking to stir the caldron as it were. My suggestion is teach all of your available useless units to temper chocolate - set it up like a building project. Get a Dewalt 18V drill and chuck up an egg beater from your hand mixer. Then, using a small propane torch, show them how to melt chocolate in a metal bowl before blending in the cream, butter and corn syrup with the power tool. They'll be so bewildered, yet unexplainably drawn to the whole process that before you know it you'll have taught them to cook for you.

10:57 AM  
Blogger Foilwoman said...

Almightyheidi: Try either of these.

Recipe for chocolate sauce I:

3 oz unsweetened chocolate
1c. heavy cream
3 egg yolks
1c. brown sugar
1 Tbsp. rum.

Melt the chocolate over very low heat (use double boiler, keep water below boiling temperature). Mix egg yolks, brown sugar, and cream together. Mix slowly into melted chocolate (still over hot but not boiling water). Stir constantly for 5 minutes or until sauce has wonderful constitency. Add rum, stir in, remove from heat.

Chocolate sauce II:

6 oz. bittersweet chocolate
1/2 c. coffee
1 Tbsp. rum

Melt chocolate over low heat (see above). Stir in coffee slowly with whisk. Stir until everything is blended and yummy (maybe 7-10 minutes). Add rum (you can substitute vanilla if you want, by why would you).

Let your choice of chocolate sauce cool. You'll need your man ready and waiting. Apply. You're on your own after that, big girl.

1:22 PM  
Blogger Foilwoman said...

Well. That kind of stopped conversation. I was just trying to be helpful.

10:18 AM  
Blogger Champurrado said...

Foil:

You are a tremendous help. With regard to the suggested recipe and possible uses you've certainly initiated some spirited activity somewhere in the cyberworld. I'm sure even as I type this there are puddles of melting chocolate out there evidencing your work.

1:12 PM  
Blogger Foilwoman said...

Hey. I only use my powers for good. I've told you that before. I think this is a clear example of that.

1:37 PM  
Blogger "" said...

I can get chocolate in Paris or Barcelona or even make my own now that you superpowers are sharing your secrets of the universe. What I want is Sam's life. Can he share his recipe for successful expatriotism while maintaining a home in an American neighborhood with neighbors like you?

That's a recipe I've been trying to invent my whole life. Any shortcuts would be appreciated.

12:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home