Thursday, January 05, 2006

Scotch

Nothing brings quite the same pleasure as a crystal highball glass partially filled with good scotch. If the glass is resting on a 100-year old, dimly lit wooden bar and backed by a tall glass of cool water, this particular pleasure can brighten the darkest of days. I can’t remember when I first learned of my compatibility with scotch. I try to forget all the unsuccessful early experiments. Some are wine drinkers, some beer, still others bourbon, it’s just my peculiar preference I suppose.

Writers characterize the taste of scotch as smoky or peaty. Depending on the region of origin, the taste runs anywhere from highland deep, smooth and rich to talisker shrill and piercing. (Some would disagree due to personal reasons but for my money, you can take talisker and fuel your zippo with it, truth be told). With its reassuring amber glow and sublime aroma, a glass of good scotch elevates the senses while simultaneously lowering defenses. Life resumes after just one long, slow appreciative sip.

I am not a scotch guzzler. I drink scotch infrequently and usually stop after one glass. To overindulge drinking scotch is to flirt with destroying the intimate relationship it offers. I enjoy savoring the experience a good scotch provides and would hate to lose that through abuse.

I have no particular preference for scotch, save my real dislike for talisker. So long as the product is well made, I will drink single malts, blends and also mutants. Michel Couvreur produces a blend of 54 different malts that’s very tasty. That this scotch is produced in the Burgundy region of France doesn’t bother me although for some it may cause a raised eyebrow. Macallan is an excellent choice for its reliably subtle explosion of aroma in the glass, wonderful feel in the mouth and warm glow as it finds it way down the gullet.

Tonight I’m meeting a friend for dinner in the city. I look forward to catching up with all the news, sharing a laugh and thoroughly enjoying a pre dinner dram of something golden from the Isle of Islay.

15 Comments:

Blogger Prom said...

Try Laphroaig if you haven't already. mmmmmmmmm

10:54 AM  
Blogger Champurrado said...

Prom:

Nice suggestion. Thanks.

10:57 AM  
Blogger ..................... said...

Well, I'm afraid I overindulged way, way, way, back as a college student while dancing the night away at a salsa party. It was a friend's scotch, no doubt cheap, but I haven't come close since.

5:07 PM  
Blogger Champurrado said...

Schaumi:

Yes, yes, I have a good friend who to this day cannot be around us when we drink margaritas. His own bad experience with tequila ruined it for him for all eternity.

6:23 AM  
Blogger Foilwoman said...

Okay, Champ. You got me. I'm now going to talk dirty to you. Blended and single malt and even a little Irish Whiskey thrown in.

Macallan's
Glenmorangie
Glenlivet
Glenfiddich
Dalwhinnie
Aberlour
Oban (oh, my)
Talisker
Pulteney
Royal Lochnagar
Inverleven
Cragganmore
Tamdhu
Lagavulin
Laphroaig
Chivas Regal
Johnny Walker Black
Johnny Walker Blue or Gold
Bushmills

There. Oban, Talisker, and Dalwhinnie are my current top of the pops, but really, any will do. More than do. Enjoy.

7:01 AM  
Blogger Champurrado said...

Foil:

To sample even a small percentage of these selections would take me years. But maybe someday you and I can sit down together in a relatively dusty old barroom and have a chat over a couple of glasses of your favorite.

8:57 AM  
Blogger AlmightyHeidi said...

So Pabst beer and beef jerky don't fit in this class??

I love a good glass of wine..I do not like whisky/scotch because after an experience 15 years ago...whcih is to humiliating to explain:)

10:04 AM  
Blogger Champurrado said...

Ms. Almighty:

You know you're free to tell me about the experience here. Noone will know except me and you. Really, so you should just relay the story. The alternative is to get it from the others involved. I won't do that unless I'm left with no choice.

10:41 AM  
Blogger AlmightyHeidi said...

champ...I will never tell:)

11:58 AM  
Blogger The Reverent Eater said...

Laphroaig is my favorite. I love it's distinctiveness. It's the only single malt that truly tastes peaty to me.
For a while I was a member of the Scotch Malt Whisky Society of America: www.smwsa.com.
They buy casks from different distilleries and bottle it themselves. Good stuff! Maybe I'll re-up...

6:54 AM  
Blogger Champurrado said...

Manchego:

Not sure if I would be worthy of joining such a society let alone society in general. I would not turn down a sample, of course.

12:45 PM  
Blogger Rainypete said...

Give "Té Bheag" (pronounced 'chey vek'). Good stuff. Also Dalwhinnie is a good one. I was pleasantly surprised by Glen Ord as well.

7:17 AM  
Blogger Foilwoman said...

I had a nice glass of 16-year old Lagavulin last night. My date? I don't remember so much of the guy. Pleasant, but not all that. The scotch? Bloody marvellous. I almost stayed for a second drink, but figured I should just enjoy the one glass.

7:52 AM  
Blogger Benedict 16th said...

I'm actually drinking a rather nice Bruichladdich Mòine Vhòr (big peat) 2nd edition. A very pale, salty 50% alcohol drop... mmmmmm.... and Foilest - you forgot the Ardbeg and of course Oban the Islay malt you have when you are not having an Islay malt.

Cheers
Benedict

PS wmfuvk what the m*f*r?

1:44 AM  
Blogger Chade said...

Bowmore is not a bad drop. I'll have to check my notes from my last whiskey tasting to remember the name of this absolutely gorgeous Single Malt. It tasted as though they had burned an entire English Village to get the flavour; it was that complex. Personally, if it's Islay, I'll drink it.

9:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home